Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Any improvement with cocobolo?

A place to discuss Henry's entry into revolvers
ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Any improvement with cocobolo?

Post by ditchparrot » Fri May 17, 2024 1:26 am

For those who think the Big Boy Revolver is ugly, do cocobolo grips do anything to improve its appearance? Or is it even worse?

I just got these today. So far, I like them -- they're a bit bulkier than the straight walnut, which I'm good with since I have pretty big hands, and they also feel a little tackier. I'll do my initial shooting with them tomorrow.

I've always liked cocobolo and wouldn't mind having it on more of my revolvers. On the other one I have that's stocked with them, the color is much more of a green-ish tint. I like this orange-ish one, too.

Feel free to give your true opinion -- revolver grips aren't wives or bird dogs and I'll take no offense whatsoever if anyone says mine are unappealing.
BB_Revolver_cocobolo grips.jpg
BB_Revolver_cocobolo grips.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 391 times
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Any improvement with cocobolo?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri May 17, 2024 7:01 am

Always a fan of cocobolo. I use a lot of it when making knives. They look good.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Fri May 17, 2024 7:03 am

Those are some nice looking pieces of wood. I like that the logo is there too.
Revolver grips are kind of strange in that what feels good and works well is such a variable depending upon the specific shooter. Then add in single or double action, and I know for me, it's different for each of those too. Some like the area behind the trigger guard filled in, like those T-Grips, but some like it open, which to me was again the way you shot it, single or double, cause of where it put my hand on the grip.
Always liked the Cocobolo, that different contrasting grain color looks really good, and it's a good wood for grips since it stands up well.
Bottom like is if it feels good in your hand, and helps you shoot it better, then they're winners.

Are those ambidextrous? That looks like a thumb groove on the top, and wondering if that is on the other side as well. It looks a little too high for a trigger finger, so I'm guessing not ambi grips. That lasered logo is in a non-contact location for a righty too.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri May 17, 2024 7:07 am

A little too stripy for my taste, almost look laminated. Don't care much for the logo size or placement- detracts from the overall look. But other than that they look well made and fitted.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 17, 2024 8:10 am

I like it!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Fri May 17, 2024 11:18 am

rickhem wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 7:03 am
Are those ambidextrous? That looks like a thumb groove on the top, and wondering if that is on the other side as well. It looks a little too high for a trigger finger, so I'm guessing not ambi grips.
The plates are identical, so the groove is on both sides. Feels really good -- can't wait to put some rounds through it this afternoon!
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri May 17, 2024 11:53 am

Those grips are nice. However, the shape of the revolver is still unappealing. Specifically the hunch back above the grip and the distance between the trigger guard and the grip.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 17, 2024 12:03 pm

I saw the Henry at my LGS the other day. It had the walnut grips. I like cocobola, too, or other exotic hardwoods. Grips are such a personal thing, though.

As I've posted before, I even appreciate and like that pre War DA revolver styling on the Henry revolver. Granted, that's more of an acquired taste, but those old Colt and S&W revolvers from that era were such fine, fine revolvers. I've had a few and still have one such Colt. Glad Henry had the guts to go with that retro style, though I know a LOT of folks hate it.

Some things I did not like on that Henry I examined, though. The cylinder release and hammer were a bit dinky and small. Would have preferred something more robust. The SA pull was reasonable, but the DA pull was very heavy and crunchy. The Henry I examined earlier this spring had a better DA pull. As always, inspect before you buy and that goes for any brand of revolver. I speak from experience.

As for aesthetics, I did not care for the brass grip frame/trigger guard or that huge logo at all. I've never been a fan of brass on a single action, either, but I think it's even worse on a DA revolver since Henry is the only one to ever use brass on a DA revolver. Sitting in the display case next to all the Smiths, Rugers and Colts, that brass and monster logo on the Henry just made it look like an off brand of DA revolver to my eyes. I get it that Henry probably wants it to stand out and that brass is very Henry-ish, but it just didn't appeal to me at all. It totally ruins that retro look, being that brass is so historically incorrect. Now, a case colored or blued grip frame and trigger guard would be amazing. Dump that huge logo, too. I nice small medallion would be much more classy.

As always, each to their own, but I do think Henry is on to something with this revolver and hope they continue to make it and update it. For my tastes, it just needs to be de-Henry-ized a bit. :)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 17, 2024 12:13 pm

If anyone thinks the Henry is ugly, then they'd also not like my 1937 Colt Officers Model in 22 LR. Believe me, though, no revolver made today at any price will match one of these pre War Colts for fit and finish and smoothness. Not even close. To hold this in your hand and shoot it is an unforgettable shooting experience. Now you know why I appreciate Henry's effort.

0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri May 17, 2024 12:56 pm

I photo shopped the picture a little bit to try and make the revolver closer to my tastes.
The grip is moved closer to the trigger guard.
The hunch back is removed.
The barrel is made slightly longer. But I think I would like it better even longer.
I'd like the trigger guard a little bit squatter, less round. But I didn't do that.

BB_Revolver_photo shopped.jpg
BB_Revolver_photo shopped.jpg (130.82 KiB) Viewed 344 times
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234