All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Hi-speed internet is coming to rural Wisconsin

Post by Hatchdog » Wed May 15, 2024 10:26 am

rickhem wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 6:34 am
Does anyone have experience with Starlink? The Elon Musk satellite internet thing.
My son who lives rural and works from home as an insurance adjuster has Starlink. He tried the DSL available and it wasn’t good enough for his needs. He also is in a cellular dark hole so uses the Starlink for internet phone service. He says it’s wonderful.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 16, 2024 12:53 am

daytime dave wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:29 am
... I just tested my chromebook speed, 85 mbs. ... I think I'm supposed to get 100 mbs according to the provider.
There are some switching delays in the network that cause some loss. Running a speed test to the closest speed test server in Sherwood, I can usually get to mid 90's over our 100Mbs service. Testing to servers in Portland, mid 80's.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 16, 2024 8:47 am

My AT&T iPhone gets 5G at home. I’m currently in Madison and only get LTE and it’s a lot slower. Even though it’s slower it just means I wait two seconds instead of a fraction of a second.

Back at home it all depends on where you are at. A neighbor 1/2 mile away doesn’t get cell service at home and instead uses a land line while at home and a cell phone when out and about.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 16, 2024 12:25 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:47 am
My AT&T iPhone gets 5G at home. I’m currently in Madison and only get LTE and it’s a lot slower. Even though it’s slower it just means I wait two seconds instead of a fraction of a second.

Back at home it all depends on where you are at. A neighbor 1/2 mile away doesn’t get cell service at home and instead uses a land line while at home and a cell phone when out and about.
Similar here. No cell service indoors, but we now have an LTE extender for that. It's a cellular transceiver router connected to our Internet router. All our indoor cell phone activity get routed over the internet. Unfortunately the extender doesn't reach outdoors. Regular cell service outdoors is very weak. Our landline is also routed over the internet. We had an internet outage last week, so nothing worked.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:55 pm

Mags wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:17 am
Lived through several "Hi Speed Internet Coming Soon" generations.
First was from 24Kb/s to 56KKb/s modem
Then broadband DSL modem to 384Kb/s
Then early FIOS up to 30Mb/s
Now here the minimum speed is 100Mb/s with a maximum of 50Gb/s
Wow, 50Gb/s home internet service:
"New or current customers across all Ziply Fiber markets in Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington can sign up for the 50Gbps plan starting at $900 monthly. There is also a one-time installation fee of $600, and customers are responsible for providing their own router."

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/zipl ... ar-way-up/
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 16, 2024 7:48 pm

dave77 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 12:55 pm
Mags wrote:
"New or current customers across all Ziply Fiber markets in Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington can sign up for the 50Gbps plan starting at $900 monthly. There is also a one-time installation fee of $600, and customers are responsible for providing their own router."

That is insanely expensive especially for something that you can’t actually use. Is downloading something in 1/100th of a second better than in 1/10th of a second?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:48 pm
dave77 wrote:
Mags wrote:

That is insanely expensive especially for something that you can’t actually use. Is downloading something in 1/100th of a second better than in 1/10th of a second?
Ya, that is something likely aimed at gamers, influencers and content providers, etc where they want or require big multi threaded data.
Our lowly 100Mbs service is more than enough for us.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 17, 2024 8:05 am

Mags wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 am
Sir Henry wrote:
dave77 wrote:

Ya, that is something likely aimed at gamers, influencers and content providers, etc where they want or require big multi threaded data.
I’m not sure how fast my 5G is but I do know most everything loads right away. If I download an hour utube it might take 5 seconds. What I really find limiting is some websites are slow and it doesn’t matter how fast your internet service is.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri May 17, 2024 11:45 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:05 am
Mags wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 am
Sir Henry wrote:

I’m not sure how fast my 5G is but I do know most everything loads right away. If I download an hour utube it might take 5 seconds. What I really find limiting is some websites are slow and it doesn’t matter how fast your internet service is.
5G is supposedly up to 20Gbs. That makes it very viable alternative to land based networks. 6G when it arrives is supposed to be up to 1Tbs. If affordable won't be a need for land based networks.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri May 17, 2024 2:05 pm

Sitting up here in shooting/atv camp and sure do wish I had some of that Hi-speed stuff. :lol: If I set my T-Mobile phone in the rv window I can get 1-2 bars and can hot spot it to this I pad. I just tried to open the Targetsports link BigAl sent me and the website would not open. Bu this site opened fine????
0 x