Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Thursday & Friday at the range

Did you just do some plinking today? Tell us about it.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Thursday & Friday at the range

Post by bandit1250 » Fri May 03, 2024 5:22 pm

Had two good weather days to shoot rim fires. Little to no wind and my wife also got to go again on Thursday. A friend also met us there and we shot the KYL spinner target and also tried some different ammo on paper to see how well the new ammo would group. We took two 452 CZ's and a Remington 540 XR. The KYL spinner is a lot of fun to shoot. My wife gets bored shooting paper. She likes to shoot reactive type targets. We were there for 6 1/2 hours and no one else was there and we shot over a thousand rounds of ammo. I got to shoot his Remington 40X big heavy bench rest rifle. He said he thought it should shoot better than it has so far. I shot it from a sand bag rest and not a mechanical rest. When I brought the target back he looked it over and said that it was better than it had shot since he had it. He said it was impressive and now he will keep it.
Today was a picture perfect day and actually better than Thursday's weather. I had to go alone today because my wife had things to do and my friend didn't answer his phone or call me back. So I loaded all my stuff I take to the range and took 3 rifles. Two more of my Remington Model 510X's and a CZ 452 Ultra lux. This makes three Remington 510X's going to the range in the last week and now I only have one more of them to take there to shoot. The 510X Remington I took today has not been shot on paper for a while and wasn't doing well. So I tried shimming the barrel like I did on the 510 X last week with the end flap from a CCI card board box. Put it in the barrel channel the same distance from the end of the stock that worked so well on the other 510X last week. I set the action screw torque at 22 inch pounds and it brought the groups down from an 1" average to 5/8" average. So the skinny barreled rifle benefited from adding up pressure on the barrel. It made it shoot a little high on the target but it dialed in real easy. I love shooting the old Remington single shots. The real surprise was Aguila standard velocity shot the three smallest groups in the 510X after shimming the barrel. The other 510X I need to shoot already has been shimmed several years ago and shoots fine. The 452 CZ Ultra Lux with the 28" barrel shoots like a target rifle. No shimming on that one as it doesn't need it. Also I received my new KYL target today that will be much easier to handle and take down is so easy it can be transported in the trunk of my Corolla. Purchased from a Veteran owned business and all built right here in the good old USA. Very nice quality from good materials. Everyone have a nice weekend and be safe. bandit
2 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Thursday & Friday at the range

Post by fortyshooter » Fri May 03, 2024 5:29 pm

Sounds like a very busy range day which can be fun! I was moving dirt to add another small target berm next to the Bullseye Saloon.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 03, 2024 5:55 pm

You're on a tear with all the shooting, bandit. Great to hear. I may try that shimming trick, sometimes. Worth a try.

Funny thing is we don't see many old Remington bolt 22s around here, even at gun shows. Mostly Winchesters and a few Marlins and Svages with the bolt 22s. Guess there must have been a Winchester dealer around here in the old days.
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri May 03, 2024 8:56 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 5:55 pm
You're on a tear with all the shooting, bandit. Great to hear. I may try that shimming trick, sometimes. Worth a try.

There seems to be a sweet spot on a lot of sporter barrel rifles for the shim to be from 1 3/4" to as much as 2 1/2" from the end of the stock. Only have seen very few that go to three inches back. I had one rifle that shot the best at 1" back. All five of our Grand Finale CZ's have bicycle inner tube rubber shims in them and when fine tuned to the sweet spot they are probably all within less than a half inch difference where they are located in the barrel channel. I make my shims long enough to stick out at the top of the wood so you can loosen the action screws and then slide the shim back and forth until it shoots the best. I then mark the spot where they need to be and take the barreled action out of the stock then cut the shim slightly below the wood at the top so it doesn't show. If it doesn't shoot better you are out nothing but time and you still got in some trigger time. Also tuning action screws is a good way to squeeze a little better accuracy from your rifles. NCG you have tried this stuff before and it is not rocket science or I couldn't do it.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat May 04, 2024 7:25 am

All rifles I would want in my collection.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat May 04, 2024 10:39 am

bandit1250 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 5:22 pm
Had two good weather days to shoot rim fires. Little to no wind and my wife also got to go again on Thursday. A friend also met us there and we shot the KYL spinner target and also tried some different ammo on paper to see how well the new ammo would group. We took two 452 CZ's and a Remington 540 XR. The KYL spinner is a lot of fun to shoot. My wife gets bored shooting paper. She likes to shoot reactive type targets. We were there for 6 1/2 hours and no one else was there and we shot over a thousand rounds of ammo. I got to shoot his Remington 40X big heavy bench rest rifle. He said he thought it should shoot better than it has so far. I shot it from a sand bag rest and not a mechanical rest. When I brought the target back he looked it over and said that it was better than it had shot since he had it. He said it was impressive and now he will keep it.
Today was a picture perfect day and actually better than Thursday's weather. I had to go alone today because my wife had things to do and my friend didn't answer his phone or call me back. So I loaded all my stuff I take to the range and took 3 rifles. Two more of my Remington Model 510X's and a CZ 452 Ultra lux. This makes three Remington 510X's going to the range in the last week and now I only have one more of them to take there to shoot. The 510X Remington I took today has not been shot on paper for a while and wasn't doing well. So I tried shimming the barrel like I did on the 510 X last week with the end flap from a CCI card board box. Put it in the barrel channel the same distance from the end of the stock that worked so well on the other 510X last week. I set the action screw torque at 22 inch pounds and it brought the groups down from an 1" average to 5/8" average. So the skinny barreled rifle benefited from adding up pressure on the barrel. It made it shoot a little high on the target but it dialed in real easy. I love shooting the old Remington single shots. The real surprise was Aguila standard velocity shot the three smallest groups in the 510X after shimming the barrel. The other 510X I need to shoot already has been shimmed several years ago and shoots fine. The 452 CZ Ultra Lux with the 28" barrel shoots like a target rifle. No shimming on that one as it doesn't need it. Also I received my new KYL target today that will be much easier to handle and take down is so easy it can be transported in the trunk of my Corolla. Purchased from a Veteran owned business and all built right here in the good old USA. Very nice quality from good materials. Everyone have a nice weekend and be safe. bandit
That’s what happens when you outshoot somebody with their own firearm :lol: I’ve been in your fiends place many times. What a couple of great days at the range, lots of hours and lots of firearm improvements without the pressure of others waiting. A good day indeed.
3 x