Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some plinking with a classic

Did you just do some plinking today? Tell us about it.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Some plinking with a classic

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 06, 2024 6:49 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:07 am
Thanks, guys.

I've always had a fascination with single shots of all kinds. There's just something about boiling it all down to just that one shot for both the gun and the shooter that appeals to me. It also helps that I used 22 LR single shots for so much of my hunting, back in the day, and never missed having a repeat follow up shot. Some of my favorite 22 single shots back then included a Winchester 67 (the one I used the most), a Remington 510, an Ithaca 49 Saddlegun (should not have been so accurate, but it was) and an old Savage 24 22LR over 410. The Savage, of course, was technically not a single shot, having two barrels, but we used it as one, depending on what hunting we were doing. The 410 barrel was great for shooting rats down at the corn silo. Later came the Contenders and much later, the Encores, both of which I still shoot.

And, yes, Bill and I are now very fortunate to have some of these high end single shots, not to mention other types of 22s. We still enjoy shooting centerfire, but more and more it's the rimfires, now. Hard to call it plinking when you're shooting centerfire rifle ammo that costs over a buck a shot, these days.
I had an old Steven’s 22/410 when I was a kid. Not sure what happened to it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 06, 2024 10:11 am

Those Savage or Stevens 22/410s sell crazy fast when one shows up around here. I suspect ct people want them for a garden/pest gun or something.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat May 11, 2024 8:42 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 10:11 am
Those Savage or Stevens 22/410s sell crazy fast when one shows up around here. I suspect ct people want them for a garden/pest gun or something.
I’ve been looking for one for the last 20 plus years.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat May 11, 2024 11:04 am

There's one at Mel's Trading post in 22 LR/20 gauge right now for $675 or so. Saw it yesterday when I stopped in to buy some new fishing line. It's a more recent Savage with the funky opening latch built into the trigger guard, though. I do not like that. No way. I want a traditional top lever.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat May 11, 2024 2:14 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 11:04 am
There's one at Mel's Trading post in 22 LR/20 gauge right now for $675 or so. Saw it yesterday when I stopped in to buy some new fishing line. It's a more recent Savage with the funky opening latch built into the trigger guard, though. I do not like that. No way. I want a traditional top lever.
Ideally I would want a .22WMR/410 but would take it in .22LR. I already have a ton of 410.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat May 11, 2024 2:20 pm

For this kind of gun and the way I've always used it, I also prefer the 410. When we were kids out at the farm, we used the 410 a lot for keeping the rat population down at our corn silo and also a neighbor's silo. Those corn fed rats were huge.
0 x