Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Differences Between H006 and H012 357

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Differences Between H006 and H012 357

Post by azdover » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:10 pm

Besides the obvious brass vs steel, what are the differences between the 357 Big Boy Brass side gate and the Big Boy Steel side gate? It looks like they both use the same lever. In particular, I was wondering if the stocks plus any other parts are interchangeable. The forends probably aren't since the H006 has a barrel band and the H012 has an end cap.
0 x

JVogler
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Differences Between H006 and H012 357

Post by JVogler » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:39 pm

I don't have a side gate Big Boy Brass. The biggest difference would be the weight of the brass. Maybe a pound heavier, swivel studs, checkered forend. I have fired my Big Boy Brass versus a Big Boy steel and accuracy was equal.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:51 am

Don't forget that the octagon barrel is heavier than the round barrel.
2 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:23 pm

Decided to answer my own question since I recently found a H006GMR on sportsmans.com. Ordered on a Sunday evening and it came in on Thursday morning. By the way, if you're in the market for another Henry, you might want to check out your local Sportsman's Warehouse if you have one nearby or their website. Not the greatest prices, but not the worst either. My local store had quite a few sitting on the rack. And they offer a 5% military discount that they give you in the form of a gift card when you check out.

So what parts do the brass side gate and steel side gate carbines have in common? Other than shooting the same boolits, not much. So far, the only things I've found interchangeable are the levers, tube magazine, and it looks like maybe the sights.

Besides the obvious things like the brass barrel band and butt plate, the wood furniture isn't compatible, especially the stock. The tangs on the brass BB are shorter and a little thicker plus the top tang on the steel BB has a different shape.

I was aware of that the octagon barrel was heavier. The brass receiver may also add to the extra 1.17 pounds. My local Sportsman's has a 20" H006GM that's been sitting on the rack for the last couple of weeks, which is surprising considering how hard Henrys have been to find lately. I almost broke and bought it but am glad I waited for the carbine.

And of course, mandatory picture or it didn't happen. The picture compares my H006GMR and H012GMR pistol grip conversion.

Pete

3 x

azdover
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by azdover » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:37 pm

One other thing I noticed after putting my 2 carbines side by side. Henry’s website says both have 16.5” barrels but the barrel on the steel one looks longer. I used a brass rod to measure both with the bolts closed. The brass measured 16.5” but the steel measured 17.5”. Before I whip out my Sawzall and trim that extra inch, am I missing something here?
1 x