Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2012 Dodge Charger

Tell us about your rides. Daily transportation or your baby. Tell us about them and show them off.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

2012 Dodge Charger

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 am

As I was about to go under the knife for a total Knee Replacement, the wife suggested that I trade in my 2009 Nissan Frontier Pickup with nearly 200k miles on the clock and get the car I always wanted. I had driven Dodge Chargers on duty for several years since the department changed over from the Crown Vics, and I wanted my own.

We made a pretty good deal on one at a local dealership. I was pretty happy, and two days after taking delivery, I couldn't drive it for a month. So... she took it and had the Tint done. I have severe migraines, so I have a DMV waiver. I don't like a lot of chrome, so I had them swap out the Chrome Grill for the factory Black grill while they had it in the shop, and they took the chrome wheels and had them powder coated black. By the time I could drive the car, it was right. 8-)

It attracted attention in the parking lots, and people always turned to give it a second look. We really liked it.
Until, the dash touch screen died. :shock: It would just go blank. Pull over and shut the car off and restart, and it would reset, maybe. You might have to restart a couple times. Took it back to the dealer and had a cup of coffee while they hummed and hawed.

"You leave it with us and we'll give you a loaner for a couple days." ;)

"Not gonna happen... I've seen the way your mechanics tool around the lot in the chargers and challengers. I can imagine what will happen when they keep the car for a few days. :evil: "

Long story short, they changed a fuse, they changed a cable, they changed another cable, they reinstalled programming, they reinstalled the reinstalled programming, and finally, they replaced the entire dash touchscreen computer. It appeared the problem was solved. Until the screen went blank again.

That same night, Nissan called to see if I was ready to trade in the 2009 pickup. I told them they were 10 months too late... I had traded it for a 2012 Dodge Charger.

"Are you happy with the Dodge?"

"Funny you should ask."

I had the Dodge 10 months, it was in the shop 14 times for warranty work. The loaner they kept wanting to give me? A ten year old Monte Carlo... seriously? Never did business with that dealer again, and made sure no-one I knew did either.

The set up of the Charger? Very popular on several forums. The next year Dodge Came out with the Blacktop edition... looked a LOT like my setup. I'm just saying. :D
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: 2012 Dodge Charger

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:20 am

My only other problem with my Charger? With my haircut, (Still had a high and tight type cut back then, working for state police,) and that car, when people saw me in their rearview mirror, they tended to set the cruise for 5 over the speedlimit and stay there. It took forever to get anywhere. :roll:
0 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 am

Very interesting and sorry about all your troubles with it. Now, maybe I am a little dense or missing something, but you said you HAD the Dodge for 10 months. Do you still have it and is everything ok with it or are you driving something else? (Edited) Oh, I just read your other post since I typed this and I see what you now have.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:39 am

Deadwood Dutch wrote:Very interesting and sorry about all your troubles with it. Now, maybe I am a little dense or missing something, but you said you HAD the Dodge for 10 months. Do you still have it and is everything ok with it or are you driving something else? (Edited) Oh, I just read your other post since I typed this and I see what you now have.
Actually, I traded the charger for the frontier pictured above. Got it set up just so... and drove it a year or so... love it. The wife decided she wanted a comfy car for trips. She planned to traded the Titan. Not. So, off goes the little frontier. :(

We had the car less than six months. She realized WE are truck folks. The car rarely got driven and the Titan was what we took on trips. Sat higher, you could see and be seen. The other car was traded for the pro4x frontier and no more dealing... we stick with what we have.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:27 pm

I have to say there are times I miss that charger, but the electronics problems kinda turned me off on the brand. More than the issue was the dealer's poor customer service attitude surrounding the entire issue. Under the lemon law, they could have pushed Dodge to replace the Car... but that could have hurt their position with Dodge. The attorneys that used to handle such things in our area no longer dealt with them as their was a cap on their fees. Sometimes you just toss in the towel.
0 x