Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

70year old 39A

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

70year old 39A

Post by bandit1250 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:31 pm

A friend of mine is sending his old 39A to the Gettysburg show Saturday so he gave it to me today to go over it and check it out for function and any thing that looked wore out. Action is very tight even considering the age. It was very clean inside when I split the receiver and showed no wear other than normal. I cleaned the barrel and lightly greased friction points with some gun grease and reassembled it. I took it to the back porch to test it for function and it passed everything except the mag tube slides in and out very easy and comes unlatched quite easy also. The front of the tube at the lock in notch was bent out a little so I inserted a brass punch in the inner mag tube and used a brass hammer to tap it back into shape and now works fine. The ejector slings the empty at least 10' or more. Almost mad me laugh when I ejected the rounds. No clean up of empty rounds as they went clean out to the down spout at the corner of the house. So up went some targets at 25 yds. as it is factory open sights. I use a upside down triangle for a target with open sights and set the point of the triangle on the front bead. The first shot at the top triangle was to high for me to shoot anymore at it as I don't like bullets hitting near the top of my back stop. I am sure there would be no problem but then again I don't need any either. So I moved down to the next triangle and fired 5 CCI Standards and was pretty impressed for a 70 year old rifle and some one only three years younger at the trigger. It seemed to like the CCI stuff and that is a good thing price wise. All targets were just 5 shots. It threw the first shot with the Tac left and the other four were O.K. but the CCI looks better. Here is a picture of the rifle and the targets. Blue worn old warrior but mechanically very good.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: 70year old 39A

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 26, 2016 5:48 pm

That one target only has two holes in it. Pretty good for five rounds.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Sir Henry wrote:That one target only has two holes in it. Pretty good for five rounds.
The first three went in the lower hole. After the first three shots I even walked out to my target and looked to see if maybe they went in the black. I thought maybe I could do 5 in one with open sights. The next two shots ended that string. This would make a good shooter set up with a peep sight and Lyman 17A globe front.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Wow, that's a beauty! :)
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu May 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Great looking rifle, I am still looking for one that I won't have to sell a body part for.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Nice job. Good looking rifle.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50