Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Weaver scope -- BBB now sighted in!

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Weaver scope -- BBB now sighted in!

Post by PT7 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:41 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:Looks good, PT7. Now, I'm really looking forward to your next range report!
Last week I posted here about the new Weaver scope I got for my .357 Big Boy. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=504 I had not sighted in a scope before, and a number of Henry folk provided helpful pointers on how to do that. CT commented about "my next range report," which was to share my sight-in progress. Well, we had another beautiful day today in KCMO, and I was able to get to my friend's range and sight in the rifle. Here is my Sight-in Range Report.

Started at 10 yards. [No picture]
~~~Used the same ammo when I sighted in my BBB with the Skinner peep sight at 50 yards: Fiocchi .357 Magnum 142gr FMJTC.

~~~Shot 5 rounds. First POI was 2" low elevation and 1/2" windage to the right. I "crept" up those 2" within the next few rounds and ended with perfect elevation, and just a shade off windage to the right. Corrected windage.

Shot second group at 10 yards. [No picture]
~~~Shot 5 rounds again. These POIs were right around the bullseye, and it took several large orange dots to cover up the bullseye spot before I moved farther away from the target for my next group. But once again my "nemesis" was shooting from a bench using a rifle rest. I really struggled with this position again today for whatever reason, which is why I was surprised at this second group. Maybe it's partly because I shot the rifle at 10 yards...never have been that close before.

Third group was at 50 yards. [Picture is below; my primary POA was the 8" B-C splash target.]
This is where I wanted to finally sight in the BBB, as my Skinner peep is sighted at this distance, too.
I must admit that after the first 6 shots, I wondered if I would get the rifle sighted in okay using the bench and rifle rest. But here's the end of the story.

~~~Shot 6 rounds.
Six fliers: one below target on white; three above target on white; and two fliers in the smaller 3" target. Those two would have been great shots, if I were only aiming at the smaller target!! :lol:

So once again as Jimmy Stewart often said, I also said: "What a bunch of hooey!" After these six fliers, I decided a change was definitely needed.
I got up from the shooting bench, and shot 10 rounds at the 8" target OFFHAND.
That's what I prefer, and really am most comfortable when shooting offhand.

Offhand worked well for me again. All 10 POAs ended up as 10 POIs in the target.
My friend (owner of the property) was watching me today. His comment was at those 10 shots, "That's a deer." I agreed.

Left the sight in for the Weaver scope as is. Looks good to me.
What a day!

Hope you had a good one, too.
Weaver scope -- sight in BBB at 50 yards
Weaver scope -- sight in BBB at 50 yards
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Weaver scope -- BBB now sighted in!

Post by JEBar » Thu May 05, 2016 10:47 pm

most interesting report .... the only thing that is important is getting the rifle and scope to place the bullets where you want them .... looks like you are well on your way to doing so .... I admire your ability to shoot so well offhand
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 06, 2016 12:32 am

Every shot would have put dinner on the table for the winter. Bench shooting for some rifles is great but Henrys just love to be shouldered.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Fri May 06, 2016 6:15 am

Looks like you have that Big Bit ready to go. Nice!
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri May 06, 2016 8:10 am

Great report, I am not surprised at all with the difference in POI between the two styles. Bench rest shooting is a different animal. Body alignment is completely different. I would recommend using a very tall rest to bring the rifle up to a height where you are sitting more upright.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri May 06, 2016 8:23 am

Another fun day at the range and another great report. I have a feeling about your hunt this fall! Your shooting gets better by the day. Great job.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 06, 2016 10:16 am

RetiredSeabee wrote:Great report, I am not surprised at all with the difference in POI between the two styles. Bench rest shooting is a different animal. Body alignment is completely different. I would recommend using a very tall rest to bring the rifle up to a height where you are sitting more upright.
I agree. Except for me I use a shorter chair. It does the same thing.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:32 am

RetiredSeabee wrote:Great report, I am not surprised at all with the difference in POI between the two styles. Bench rest shooting is a different animal. Body alignment is completely different. I would recommend using a very tall rest to bring the rifle up to a height where you are sitting more upright.
Good Day, RSb.

Yup, when I stood up from that shooting bench yesterday, it sure felt good! I'd wish I had known either to raise my gun rest (it's adjustable), or as Sir Henry suggested, use a shorter chair to help my body alignment. I've noticed at the MO Conservation ranges that guys look kind of scrunched down at those wooden benches. Ah well, will adjust next time. Anything to tame the uncomfortableness of bench rest shooting. :)
1 x

~Пока~