Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hello to the forum

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
cyclerambler
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Hello to the forum

Post by cyclerambler » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:59 am

Greetings to all from Northern Alabama. About a couple months back my son bought a Ruger American 22LR and a PC Carbine, two that I
had been eyeing. First time we had firearms in the house so now it was my turn. After looking high and low, doing tons of research, with
a glance at my budget, I brought home last Friday afternoon a Henry Single Shot chambered in 223. Fabulous rifle and so we took
them all out to the range yesterday and had a great time. I did have a couple nits though and wanted to run them by the forum
for experienced thoughts....

1) Since I wear progressive lens glasses both sights are blurry when aiming. Tried turning them upside down without success. This isnt
new, as it was the same when firing my son's guns. He recently picked up a red-dot scope thing and, after a short learning curve, I
find it helps. Am also considering a scope for >100yd targets (not quite into hunting yet). Any thoughts/comments?

2) After about 30 rounds the barrel was not opening as it should...I would press the lever to open it and nothing would happen...until
I smacked the barrel end with my palm then it opened up. So I thought I would give it a good clean and oiling (did that last evening)
before I asked for help...so I'm hoping this fixed the problem....

Anyway thanks for the opportunity to participate...looking forward to many good years ahead.
1 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Re: Hello to the forum

Post by brm4450 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:56 am

Welcome to the forum from Dacotah. I have the same problem with glasses and sights so I have went to the scope. The scope i like is the Leupold VX-Freedom 450 Bushmaster 3-9x40 Riflescope. I have several and really like them.
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:59 am

The front sight should be your focus when aiming. The rear sight should be blurred, or fuzzy, as should the target. Most of the competitive shooters I shot with, who wore glasses, had prescription glasses FOR shooting, with the focal plane set a their front sight distance, or bifocals. A portion of the lens set up for the front sight and the other portion for downrange. Our optometrist would have us bring the unloaded firearm along, cased, and buzz us in the back door. That way we didn't upset the Karens in the waiting room. He would measure the prescription using the rifle or handgun of choice.

You could also bring a dowel cut to the length of your sighting plane. :D

As for hard opening, a good cleaning, or simply twist a brass chamber brush in the chamber when it starts to bind. When shooting competition, we would brush out the cylinders between relays as a preventive measure.

If that doesn't help, call Henry Customer Service and pose your question. They are there to serve. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum. I have a single shot 357 and I have a red dot on it which I like. But I know if I had a 223 I would scope it for sure. As far as a scope goes most guys here will recommend a Leupold. Im not against Leupold but I think there is other scopes out there for less money that are just as good. After you cleaned the gun does it now open without smacking it?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:02 am

Being a single shot your rifle is the perfect platform for a scope. No fast follow-up shots so no fast sight re-acquiring needed. :lol:

Also .223 is a caliber that can reach out and be very accurate at mid-range distances, 400 - 500 yards easily with your rifle. A good quality 3-9x40 or a 4-12x50 would be perfect. .223’s can be picky with bullet weight, check your twist rate (should be stamped on the barrel (ie1-9 or 1-8, etc) or listed in the specs in the manual or on the Henry website. The faster the twist (1-8 is faster that 1-9 which is faster that 1-10, etc) the heavier bullets will perform better. 69 - 80 grain. The cheap 55 grain .223 ammo is designed for AR platforms more so than bolt or single shot .223’s.

Welcome to the Henry forum and Henry ownership as well. Great people here.
0 x

cyclerambler
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cyclerambler » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:11 pm

Appreciate the input guys...thanks...
It does open now without smacking, though I havent shot anything since the cleaning/oiling.
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:37 pm

I also wear progressive lenses and have to adjust them on my nose when shooting. If I keep them all the up 0n my nose it appears that my front sight is bent to the left. I use peep sights when I am not using a scope so it is easier to just concentrate on the front sight as BrokenMarine advises. Play with position and see what works for you.
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:40 pm

Welcome!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:52 am

Hello & Welcome aboard, not much help here, as I don't wear glasses nor do I own any of the Single shots.
As to the 223, I'd say scope it.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:50 am

Welcome to the forum. I too have the glasses problem and prefer a scope.
0 x