Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Major Shift in Shooting

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Major Shift in Shooting

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:34 pm

I’m not talking about POImpact. I’m talking about what type of rifle/pistol I want to shoot. I’ve gone from centerfire to rimfire and am now at the point I want to make air guns my major firearms.

The biggest reason is to shoot in my own backyard. The backyard range is for the most part already there. Keep in mind I’m limited to 25 yards or less. Ten meters would be about the closest.

There are several obstacles in my way. First is availability. The second is to continue my desire to not let the neighbors know what I’m doing. Granted those within hearing distance will know. However the person that might live a dozen houses away might not hear me but can see me. So no combat uniform or assault rifle looking air guns.
The third obstacle is cost and powering the air guns.

I have several springer rifles and pistols and just don’t care for them as an only type. I’m looking at CO2 and PCP. To break those down further I’m thinking less expensive CO2 pistols. I’ve seen several for under $100 and the 4ci refills are available and inexpensive.

Also I’m looking at higher end ($1,000) PCP rifles.

I’m ready to order as soon as I find what I want and it’s in stock. Suggestions?

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_ ... olver/3253

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Colt_Pea ... ickel/3568

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_ ... B_Gun/1085

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin ... Rifle/1774

I could shoot this at 25 yards which is out of passerby sight.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin ... Combo/3601
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Major Shift in Shooting

Post by ol'pole » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:38 pm

Why choose ?? Get them all !! Have fun
0 x
I love my country but I fear my government

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:21 pm

Never been very interested in air guns, but given your situation I probably would be. I was out on the back porch an hour or so ago putting 9mm holes in stale tortillas. No worries about neighbors complaining. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SAGA22 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:32 pm

I just got a Diana chaser in 177 cal. and 22 cal. I have a large assortment of air rifles going back to my Benjamin pump that I bought in 1950 at my cousins hardware store in Mt Shasta California. The Diana chaser may be the best value for the dollar out the there. German made with a pistol and rifle barrel and corresponding grips. A nine shot magazine can purchased. I believe the velocity to be well over 500 fps and it comes with a suppressor that just makes a fttt when shot.
I put a Leopold scope on it and at 30 feet able to shoot 3 shots from the bench in the very same hole. it also comes in a very nice case.
Just my two cents. DOC
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:02 pm

Gene, as you probably know, we're ahead of you on converting over to airguns as our main form of shooting, though we do prefer springers and those are the core of our collection. We also shoot PCPs and CO2 and, of course, pump ups and single pump pneumatics.

This has been a steady change in our shooting for the last ten years or so, but this last year with all the issues caused by the pandemic and what's happening in the regular gun and ammo market has really pushed us to the point where nearly all of our shooting is now air guns. Some of it is for the reasons you stated, too.

As an accuracy nut, the most important thing for me with air guns is that air guns do satisfy my shooting needs and are challenging enough to keep my interest level high. I didn't come to this conclusion, lightly. I've really pushed the limits on what air guns can do. It's been a labor of love over the course of many years.

As for the guns in question, keep in mind that CO2 pistols without a moderator or shroud, relative to some other types of air guns, can be on the loud side. The other issue with CO2 replica guns you need to consider is accuracy. These are essentially plinkers and fun guns, but if you're concerned with group size or scoring, you'll do better with a CO2 target style rifle or pistol. Not that these CO2 replica guns aren't useful for practice, mind you. Just be aware of their limitations.

As for quiet, a shrouded PCP is the potentially quietest air gun you can shoot, even when stepping up to the most powerful models and, likewise, PCPs are the potentially most powerful airguns you can buy. Our Daystate PCP rifle, for instance, is one of our most powerful air rifles and it's also our quietest air rifle. The sound of a pellet hitting the backstop is actually louder than the shot. A neighbor even in the next yard over would have a hard time hearing you shoot if you were shooting one of these PCPs and using a soft backstop.

As I've mentioned, before, you really need to carefully assess how you plan to fill a PCP gun, though. I know that buying a pump and pumping is an attractive option to keep things simple and affordable. It is practical for some PCPs, but overall, you are going to have a hard time keeping in the larger PCP game by just using a pump. Pumping as a means of filling a PCP is hard work. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

We've been using scuba tanks for a long time, but we have to drive 40 miles to the nearest dive shop to have them filled and now they need to be tested again. We 've been toying with buying our own compressor, now. The problem for us is that this is all for the sake of shooting our one high end PCP rifle, our Daystate. Don't have this headache at all with our other types of air guns.

Anyway, I think switching to air guns is a great idea for your situation. It sure works for us. Welcome to the club.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:32 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:21 pm
Never been very interested in air guns, but given your situation I probably would be. I was out on the back porch an hour or so ago putting 9mm holes in stale tortillas. No worries about neighbors complaining. :)
If I lived where I could shoot powder I doubt I would give air guns a second thought.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Thanks Joanie, I’m thinking the CO2 replica will be for casual plinking and the rifle for group size. And I’m thinking this will only be the first phase of buying with others to follow that will fill other niches.

Your comment about the replica being loud is a concern however the $59 price tag makes the risk less costly.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:49 pm

Also the pumping isn’t a concern. I use a push mower on an acre and it’s a lot of work. What I’m doing is trying to keep myself physically active.

In a year when I complain about the pumping you have my permission to say I told you so. :)
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:51 pm

Is this because your range is closed? Or ammo availability?
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:32 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:51 pm
Is this because your range is closed? Or ammo availability?
The range is open and I have a ton of ammo. It’s the loading everything up and driving to and from the range. This is especially true during the winter when several of the roads to the range are closed due to flooding. Last time I went there was a ten mile detour.

Range plans must be coordinated on sunny days and we don’t always get that. A two hour break in the rain can be taken advantage of in my own backyard on five minutes notice whereas it’s two hours absolute minimum driving to the range only to discover it’s raining again.

I am also in the process of remodeling my laundry room, guest bathroom and kitchen. I can’t afford to take a day off for two hours of shooting in the rain. Yet I can take an hour here and there in the backyard where 50 of those 60 minutes are trigger time.

I suspect in a few more months I’ll be making range trips.
0 x