Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What type of "gun nut" are you?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

What type of "gun nut" are you?

Post by ditchparrot » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:15 pm

I've been called a "gun nut" more than once, but it's not like I'm just hog wild about anything with a lock, stock and barrel. For instance, I don't own a single "black gun" and have no desire to. They certainly have their uses, but I prefer to spend my discretionary income on traditional sporting arms. I've also owned upwards of 50 shotguns over the course of my lifetime, but no auto-loaders. Other than their almost non-existent recoil, I don't really like anything about them.

I love lever-action rifles, revolvers and two kinds of shotguns (double-barrel and pump). I have some other types (a couple of bolt-action rifles, two Ruger 10/.22s, a semi-auto pistol for concealed carry, etc.), but I'm not really interested in buying anything else that doesn't fall into one of my Big 4 categories.

How about you folks?
5 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: What type of "gun nut" are you?

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:29 pm

Revolvers I like. Lever action rifles like. Pump shotguns are nice. The others, I can take or leave.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:45 pm

I like nice wood and classic lines. Lever guns and single shots are my personal preference, although I have a couple of semi auto rifles and pistols. My edc is a Glock, and has been for many years. I have owned ARs, but they aren’t my preferred weapon. I shot enough “real “ assault rifles while wearing a green uniform to scratch any itch I might have had for that type of weapon.
Does what I like to shoot make me a Fudd in some people’s eyes? If so, I have been called worse.
3 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:24 pm

I own a variety of firearms, but my passion is traditional lever guns and single-action revolvers.

RP
Last edited by Vaquero on Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:39 pm

I would also like to reply, but I believe my site name says it all.

I don't own anything but. Maybe not the best "go to" guns, but will get the job done.
2 x
NRA Member

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:27 pm

I started shooting and reloading 11 years ago, late in life (I'm 73) and since then I've purchased two Henry Lever Action rifles, two Uberti SAA revolvers, and a Colt King Cobra Carry.

I did inherit three guns from my father-in-law, which I still own; a Ranger Bolt Action single shot 22LR rifle that he owned as teen, a Colt 38 special Official Police revolver that he was given by a retiring policeman in our hometown, and a Colt 1908 25 ACP semi-automatic pocket pistol that his father bought new in 1916. I've fired each of them, but rarely.

I have no interest in owning any other firearms, and certainly no semi-autos.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:44 pm

Passion is Smith and Wesson revolvers. And most anything that goes band.........Wish i owned some.........
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:53 pm

What kind?? A poor but happy one! :lol:
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:45 pm

As a Former Marine and Former LEO, I have had plenty of experience with a wide range of firearms. I shot high power matches in the Corps, as well as Handgun Matches and some shotgun, like skeet and sporting clays. I shot Police Pistol and Glock Matches after I got out. My focus has been mostly handgun, but I do shoot rifles and shotguns. Although I don't shoot black powder, I do own a couple BP wall hangers as well as I like the looks. I'm fond of all handguns, but Single Actions are a favorite. I do like my Henry Rifles for fun, but the workhorse guns for Varmint Control are both Bolt Actions.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:11 pm

The old in old school describes both my age and the guns I shoot. Yeah, guess that makes me a a Fud or maybe a Fud-ette. :)

Over my lifetime of shooting, I've owned and shot nearly every type of gun at one time or other, but the types of guns that most influenced me at the start of my shooting career are the types of guns I mostly shoot now at the close of my shooting career. My shooting time is too valuable now to waste on anything else.

I did a lot of wing shooting back in the day, but I was always a rifle and handgun shooter at heart.

Over the years I did collect and shoot lever guns and enjoyed them, but bolt guns and single shots have been a far greater influence on me and I blame the bolt guns, specifically, for making me the accuracy nut I've always been. Oh, lever guns and pump guns and autoloaders are fun to shoot and make good plinkers, but drooling over tiny groups, match triggers and fast lock times is still bolt gun territory for me all these decades later.

As for handguns, it's been revolvers or it's been specialty handguns, thanks to my upbringing in handgun hunting and later silhouette. I did make a side trip or two shooting bullseye with semi-autos and that was fun, but semi-autos never made much of a splash in handgun hunting and silhouette/long range handgun shooting and those are the games that have been the most important to me. Nope, never had much use for shooting handguns at dart throwing range. Yup, I'm old school.
2 x