Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

521T's anyone?

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

521T's anyone?

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:49 am

Any members have a 521T Remington? I had to remove several rows of rifles yesterday to retrieve some papers that slipped through the top shelf and fell to the bottom of my safe. While I was in there I changed some fall hunting guns to the rear and brought up closer to the front rifles I will shoot this summer. So I took my 521T Rems. out on the porch as it was to nice to be inside and greased the locking lugs and the cocking ramps on the bolts to get them ready to shoot later. While doing that I was thinking how nice it would be if Remington still made rifles like these. Dual locking lugs and dual cocking ramps with blued steel and walnut wood. No plastic except the butt plates. They lacked only in no adjustable triggers. These rifles are the lighter version of the 513T target rifles. They came with factory Lyman peep sight and a blade front that some got switched to a Lyman globe front. 1" swivels were standard and a Military style sling also. They were probably in the $40 range new in the late 40's. Two of mine are 1948 rifles and a '61 and a '65. The '65 has the factory grooved receiver and is my squirrel hunting 22. Here is a picture I took yesterday of the 521's. The two on the ground are '48 rifles and the front one standing is a '61 that is all original except some one D&T it and hurt any collector value. The rear one is a '65 grooved receiver I hunt with.
This is the front one on the ground in the picture. This rifle is 98%+ condition and is just unbelievable for a gun of that age from '48.
Target I shot with the nicer one of the '48 year rifles. Had never fired Tac 22 in it before. Two different lot #'s but looks promising. Both 5 shot groups with the peep sights in some fading light in the evening after the wind laid down. The first group was higher on the bull. Normal for the different lot numbers to hit a little different on the target. The sights are set for CCI Standard and I left them set for now.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: 521T's anyone?

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Bandit you sure have some beauties. I love these older guns that were made to be used as hunters. And wind up so many years later as collectible pieces of American history.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Loved reading this thread. Those are some nice rifles. The Norma Tac-22 takes a dozen rounds to season the barrel so I wouldn't make any changes out of the gate.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:56 am

Sir Henry wrote:Loved reading this thread. Those are some nice rifles. The Norma Tac-22 takes a dozen rounds to season the barrel so I wouldn't make any changes out of the gate.
You are right Sir Henry on Tac 22 and some other greasy bullet rounds need a dozen to season a barrel. Some but not all of my rifles are like that. Usually about 5 they settle in well. Some of my 452 CZ's will put the first round from a clean cold barrel with most ammo I keep in my stash and that is the ones that make for a very good rifle to hunt with. Some of the older rifles will get very close to where the rest of the shots go but not always. Several rifles shoot the Tac 22 and the CCI Standard almost exactly in the same group and others don't. My rifles seem to shoot their best groups between 5- 60 or so rounds especially if switching brands often. Staying with one brand they will go longer with out cleaning. I am a believer in cleaning my barrels. I see my accuracy being better if not letting my barrels go long periods with out cleaning. Not letting your barrel get a carbon build up at the leade in the throat actually seems to be a big help in barrels putting their first shot at the aiming point. YMMV.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:26 am

I have one Henry that the only ammo I've ever shot is Norma. It shoots clean and straight. I have some CCI Standard which I shoot in other rifles and its not nearly as accurate.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater