Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

family break up

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

family break up

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:17 am

I am thinking about letting my CZ452 FS 17 HMR go to a new home. I am not a 17 HMR fan by any means and just never use it. The only good point of the HMR is ammo is available every where and it is very accurate. I have only hung on to it this long because it is one of only three calibers in the 452 FS that was offered. The 22 Magnum is a better choice for me to keep with the ammo I have for it and it has been better at killing larger varmints than my 17 HMR's I have owned in the past. The 17 HMR to me is to much for smaller game and not enough for consistent one shot stops on the bigger varmints of the area I hunt. I hate to break the set of FS rifles but it may happen soon with the people who are looking to buy 452's and not 455 models. I really can't blame them for not wanting 455's after the two I have owned being sub par on accuracy and the critical screw tension issues they seem to have to get them to shoot. Bottom rifle is the HMR.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: family break up

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:46 pm

How can you part with one? Don't tell me its the second one from the top. That one is purdy. I think the .17HMR caliber is the most accurate compared to .22LR and .22WMR.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:12 pm

Sir Henry, It is the bottom one. Accuracy is great but the 22 Magnum for me is the better hunting round. I hunt with my rifles and the 17 HMR is to much for squirrel and lacks on the occasional coyote and is not a consistent killer on turkeys. I know guys swear by it for turkey but they seem to only talk about the ones they are lucky enough to get. I know guys here that shot big turkeys with the 17 center fire cartridges and lost them. I may be in a minority that dislike the HMR for killing effect on varmints and game but for me the 22 caliber rules for my use. Accuracy of the HMR and the other 17's is outstanding. The top two pictured are both 22 LR. I hunted for several years for a 452 FS 22 with nice wood and ended up getting the second one from the top NIB a mile from my home.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:16 pm

The .17HMR is great for shooting gophers. They just go poof in a red cloud.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:21 pm

My experience also on small pests. :D No complaint there and no complaint on ammo being available. It has it's good points I will admit.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:14 pm

If you do decide to sell your .17HMR, Bandit, a good place to start might be to post on our site's forum, "Classifieds." That way we'll have all the rifle specifics, maybe pics, price, etc. If you get a buyer from that post, in a sense it might not be a complete "family break up." It would stay in your Henry family here! ;)

BTW, it sure has very nice looking wood on it! Always a thumbs up for me.
0 x

~Пока~

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Bandit,

You have a very NICE rifle and best wishes on your sale. I think that you should post it here and/or in a few other places.

We only own and shoot 22lr (Henry Golden Boy and a couple of others.) and one 22wmr (Henry Golden Boy) in our RIMFIRE firearms.

My husband still shoots a few CF firearms but I officially quit shooting the last one that I was using. A sweet Made in CT Marlin 336C in 30-30.

I have heard VERY nice things about CZ rifles and you should be able to sell it quickly.

Take care.

Cate
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Those are beautiful rifles bandit.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Sir Henry wrote:The .17HMR is great for shooting gophers. They just go poof in a red cloud.
Ew.
0 x